…new Bluehost customers can get VPS hosting from just $19.99/month (it’s normally $29.99/month)!
- Unlimited domains across all plans
- Great help and support
- Great WordPress integration
- Seamless WordPress integration
- Budget-level pricing
- Dependable features
- Low storage on VPS plans
- Lots of add-ons at checkout
- Limited basic plans
- Unreliable uptime
Bluehost is better known for its WordPress hosting, but it still has everything you need from a VPS service. And if you’re yet to purchase a domain name, Bluehost throws in unlimited domains across all its plans. Pretty generous, huh? That’s the thing with Bluehost, it just does everything well. Consistently ranking in the top three across our different research categories, Bluehost is a great all-rounder and, more importantly, our choice for the best VPS hosting provider.
Bluehost has an advertised uptime guarantee of 99.98%. No web host can provide 100% uptime, so 99.98% is a strong showing – it translates to roughly one hour and 45 minutes of downtime per year.
Don’t get too excited, though! We tested Bluehost’s site speed and uptime, and despite it having the wow factor in other hosting areas, Bluehost is hugely let down when it comes to uptime performance, scoring only 3 out of 5. Other hosting providers, such as HostGator and IONOS, received scores over 4!
Bluehost offers six different types of hosting: shared, shared WordPress, WooCommerce, VPS, managed WordPress, and dedicated. We’ve broken down the details of each type in our Bluehost Pricing Review, but generally, you can think of the differences like this:
- Shared: The cheapest and easiest general service
- Shared WordPress: The cheapest and easiest way to host a WordPress site
- WooCommerce: The best way to host an online store with WordPress
- VPS: Not as expensive as dedicated hosting, and still good for business sites that need to go beyond the basics
- Managed WordPress: Even more features for your hosted WordPress site
- Dedicated: The most expensive, but also the most powerful hosting service
Bluehost is a strong choice for any hosting type, but we know, thanks to our research, that it excels at VPS, dedicated, and WordPress hosting. In fact, in some areas Bluehost has shot up from third place into the winning spot – for example, it now scores 4.6 out of 5 for VPS hosting and a whopping 4.9 out of 5 for dedicated hosting!
Seamless WordPress integration is Bluehost’s most impressive feature, but definitely not its only feature. Though Bluehost only scores 3.3 and 3.8 out of 5 for shared and VPS features, respectively, its dedicated and WordPress hosting plans have excellent features, both scoring 4.4 out of 5. We’ve compiled the rest of Bluehost’s best offerings below:
|Bluehost offers a free domain to certain users when they sign up for a one-year plan. However, that perk doesn’t include the domain registration fee (between $10-15), which you’ll still have to pay for.
|There’s a drag-and-drop site builder for those who have an idea of what they want to create, but don’t have sharp enough HTML and CSS skills.
|Bluehost offers unlimited data transfer on many of its plans. However, Bluehost also provides CPU protection – more on this below.
|Bluehost uses the “cPanel” Control Panel, which is a popular site management system. The company also offers free backups so you don’t lose any key site files.
|Depending on the plan you use, Bluehost offers anything from 10GB up to unlimited storage space for your site files. If all you plan to do is run a WordPress blog with words and images, then the 10GB plan will be fine, and you can always upgrade if you need more space.
The fact that you can get so much in one place is a big draw for customers. When we reached out to our email database for first-hand experiences of Bluehost, Steffi, a consultant, said:
“I used Bluehost, because I could do it all in one place: domain registration, email-admin, hosting, unlimited sub-spaces. The documentation was very good and what I needed at the time.”
Bluehost ranks highly in our research for value for money, with a score of 4.7 out of 5 overall. Additionally, Bluehost scores the best for price when it comes to VPS, dedicated, and WordPress hosting. The best part? All Bluehost plans come with a 30-day money back guarantee.
Shared hosting offers Bluehost’s cheapest plan, at $2.95 per month for the first year and $9.99 per month after that. Dedicated hosting, understandably, offers the most expensive plans, starting at $99.99 for a 12-month term.
- Donec bibendum augue in erat porttitor, id pharetra purus mattis. Integer gravida ornare auctor. Sed mauris libero, pretium consectetur cursus eu, blandit at arcu. Morbi justo turpis, vulputate et elementum non, dapibus at ante. Morbi id augue id justo pulvinar elementum. Donec volutpat quam quis porta maximus.
- Sed mauris libero, pretium consectetur cursus eu, blandit at arcu. Morbi justo turpis, vulputate et elementum non, dapibus at ante. Morbi id augue id justo pulvinar elementum. Donec volutpat quam quis porta maximus.
- Cras in nisi id turpis cursus vulputate. Aliquam at sapien non tellus congue efficitur. Nam scelerisque quam quis turpis pellentesque, in placerat erat laoreet. Integer porttitor malesuada ante, nec aliquet dui pellentesque sit amet. Fusce non pretium lacus, id malesuada dui. Sed dapibus nec neque quis tempor.
Praesent magna lacus, faucibus ac sapien vel, efficitur ullamcorper ipsum. Maecenas varius risus at ipsum hendrerit, non aliquet sem scelerisque. Vestibulum vel augue eget nibh laoreet facilisis ut ultricies sapien. Aliquam sit amet velit egestas, ultrices lacus ut, elementum sapien.
Donec bibendum augue in erat porttitor, id pharetra purus mattis. Integer gravida ornare auctor. Sed mauris libero, pretium consectetur cursus eu, blandit at arcu. Morbi justo turpis, vulputate et elementum non, dapibus at ante. Morbi id augue id justo pulvinar elementum. Donec volutpat quam quis porta maximus.
Cras ac enim: A ante condimentum cursus id nec lorem. Cras sit amet justo venenatis, rhoncus dui sit amet, fermentum ipsum. Fusce eget augue commodo mi sollicitudin finibus. Aliquam sapien ex, finibus ut interdum a, varius hendrerit felis. Ut lobortis lorem sit amet dolor sagittis, vel blandit massa porttitor.